How to wash your shower curtain: Simple Cleaning and Care Tips
Soap scum, mildew and dirt are the biggest enemies of a shower curtain. Through some quick and easy maintenance, your shower curtain will last a lot longer, smell better and look prettier.
No one wants to get into a shower when there is mold on the curtain or if the curtain stinks.
Keep your bathroom clean and fresh so you can relax is a nice warm shower.
Can you wash shower curtains?
Quick Links on This Page
- Can you wash shower curtains?
- How often should you wash a fabric shower curtain liner?
- How to Clean Your Shower Curtain
- When should you buy a new shower curtain?
- Can you use a polyester shower curtain without a liner?
- Should you leave the shower curtain open or closed?
- What’s the difference between a shower curtain and a shower liner?
- Should the shower curtain be inside or outside the tub?
- How do I stop my shower curtain from molding?
- Why do shower liners turn orange?
- Do fabric shower curtains need a liner?
- Can you put a fabric shower curtain in the dryer?
- What material is best for a shower curtain?
- Peva vs Vinyl Shower Curtain Liner
- Different Types of Shower Curtains to Consider:
- Popular Shower Curtain Themes
- Wash in machine on cold setting.
- Add bath towels to help protect the curtain.
- Never put your shower curtain in dryer!
- And always use liner for natural fiber curtains.
How often should you wash a fabric shower curtain liner?
Your shower curtain and liner should get a shower themselves about once a month as mildew can break down the fabric of the curtain.
How to Clean Your Shower Curtain
Use this simple as easy cleaning routine by taking shower curtain off its rings and popping it in the washing machine.
Along with 1 tablespoon of laundry soap, add in 1/2 cup of backing soda.
Instead of using fabric softener, use vinegar as it can break down any leftover dirt after the washing cycle
We also find that if you add in one or two towels to the load, that the shower curtain comes out cleaner.
Plastic shower liners should never go in the dryer.
We don’t put our fabric shower curtains in the dryer either. Just simply hang them back up on shower rod, spread it out across the rod to let air dry.
When should you buy a new shower curtain?
The more often you change your shower curtain, the better it will be for your health.
It is important to change your shower curtain every six months.
The material of the shower curtain provides a barrier that prevents bacteria and mold from growing on it.
Can you use a polyester shower curtain without a liner?
Polyester shower curtains are washable which makes them easy to clean. In addition, a liner is not required if you wash it on a regular basis (once a month).
Should you leave the shower curtain open or closed?
A shower curtain should be closed when not in use.
Mold and mildew can grow inside the folds of an open shower curtain
This is because opening a shower curtain causes water to get trapped between the plastic and make it hard to dry.
What’s the difference between a shower curtain and a shower liner?
Shower Liners are meant to stop water from getting out of the tub and on to the decorative shower curtain.
While shower curtains are meant to prevent anyone from looking inside while you shower.
They’re usually made of fabric and provide privacy, and is a decorative piece that enhances the look of your bathroom, too!
Should the shower curtain be inside or outside the tub?
A shower curtain (or the liner if you have both a curtain and an liner) should always be inside the tub.
If you leave it outside of the tub, the water will drip down the curtain (liner) and on to the floor of the bathroom, leaving a huge puddle for you to clean up.
How do I stop my shower curtain from molding?
Rinses shower curtain and liner from top down after use and wash in the washing machine once a month.
Sprays Fresh Wave Odor Removing Spray to eliminate lingering smells
Why do shower liners turn orange?
Households may have a rusty orange deposit on plumbing fixtures, tubs and sinks.
Oxidation is when the water turns orange.
Household water supplies may contain high levels of iron.
Do fabric shower curtains need a liner?
Liner is recommended for fabric shower curtains.
Fabric shower curtains are more likely to retain water, so they need a liner.
In addition, a liner provides added privacy.
Can you put a fabric shower curtain in the dryer?
- Don’t put it in the dryer.
- Some fabrics can be melted or distorted when in use.
- Hang curtain to air dry.
What material is best for a shower curtain?
The best material would be a shower curtain made from cotton. The fabric is soft and feels luxurious to the touch in addition to being durable and easy to clean.
Cotton shower curtains are more expensive, but the price is worth it for the quality of the product.
Peva vs Vinyl Shower Curtain Liner
PEVA liners are an eco-friendly shower curtain and a great alternative to a vinyl shower curtain and they don’t give off that nasty plastic smell.
So go with PEVA as your liner.
Different Types of Shower Curtains to Consider:
- Cotton Shower Curtains
- Decorative Shower Curtains
- Hookless Shower Curtains
- Vinyl Shower Curtains
- Microfiber Shower Curtains
- Extra-Wide Shower Curtains